Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Welcome to Holland

I struggling with knowing how much I want to talk about PKU on my blog not because I’m unwilling to talk about it but because I have no idea who gets on here and looks over my blog. I never want Jaxson’s PKU and what our family feels about it to become the latest gossip or topic of discussion. I want people to see Jaxson and not PKU. However PKU is a big part of our lives as we continue to learn and accept it.

A while back I went to a workshop for cooking low protein and I meet some fabulous people who told me I needed to sign up for an email help group. It’s called listserv and people with a connection to PKU can sign up and email each other. I get about 10 or so emails a day from people all over the world. Sometimes they are just questions to the group, sometimes answers to previous questions, sometimes updates on phe levels in food, and sometimes just inspirational stories.

Today I received this email and I thought it was too good to just keep to myself. I know that most people who read our blog are our family and friends who have been so helpful and caring about Jaxson’s diagnoses and it’s to you that I want to share this with. I think it hit a little too close to home for me I found myself crying while reading the end thank goodness Brett’s at work I know my crying about PKU sometimes stresses him out because he just wants to be able to take the pain way and he can’t. So to my extraordinary family and friends that adore our son, Jaxson I share with you this poem and thank you for being there for us!

WELCOME TO HOLLAND
by
Emily Perl Kingsley.
c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......
When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.
After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."
"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."
But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.
The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.
So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.
It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.
But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."
And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things .. about Holland.

8 comments:

Brian and Amy said...

That is a beautiful letter. Thank you for sharing Diane!

Heather said...

I have actually heard that story before. It's a good one!

Kandice said...

What a great post diane!!! You have such a WONDERFUL outlook on life. You are the best mom ever. Your little guy is so lucky to have you!!!

KristyAnn said...

What a perfect metaphor....and beautifully told. I think I'll always remember that one. And Holland truly is a special place to be, don't forget it.

Jesenia said...

Thank you for that. You are a great mother, what a darling beautiful little boy. Take care, love ya.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for sharing. I love that little nephew so much! If Holland was the only place we would ever get to meet him and be apart of his life then it's worth it, but I know it's not easy. You and Brett are wonderful parents.

Jeff and Steph said...

Hi Diane-
I just want you to know that as a pku mom as well, that I was crying also when I read this analogy. It truly hits so very close to our hearts. PKU can break our hearts at first, I know it did mine, but then we begin to see how beautiful our children are and we appreciate so much every little thing they do and say. Our lives are a little different than we expected but are very beautiful in their own way. And it just gets better and better with time. I hope you don't mind if I left a comment. Hope you and your family are doing great.
Thanks- Stephanie Jensen

Susieq said...

I read that years ago, and I'm glad you shared it with us. I know that sure hits close to me with my life and trials. But I want Jaxson to grow up and realize how truly blessed he was to grow up in beautiful Holland with you and Brett as his parents. Just as your life wouldn't be the same without him, neither would his be the same with anybody else for parents.

Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones