Monday, April 27, 2009

Denver

Friday we left for Denver, CO. Jaxson did awesome with the long 6 hour drive thanks to a lifesaver back seat rider aka Grandma! My mom was so sweet and volunteered to come with us so that we could take Jaxson to Denver. I'm not quit ready to leave this cutie. I'm so thankful we could take Jaxson it turned out to be a great family trip!
Jaxson and Grandma--the backseat riders When we first got to Denver we unloaded our car at the hotel. Jaxson enjoyed riding this cart.
We went to the zoo. It was Brett and Jaxson's first time to ever go to a zoo. It was a really nice zoo we had a great time and it was wonderful to walk around for a few hours after the drive.
We knew Jaxson had seen the animal(s) when he pointed.

Jaxson loved the Rhino. It was neat the Rhino was over by the building and when we came near he walked out towards us and got pretty close. Jaxson loved it of coarse I didn't have the camera ready and before we knew it the Rhino walked away. We all thought this was Jaxson's favorite animal at the zoo.

My favorite animal at the zoo





Feeding Jaxson a banana (a favorite breakfast food of his right now) before Brett and I left for Saturday's conference. We of coarse had to bring the 4 wheeler.

The National PKU conference was AMAZING! I feel so blessed that it was held in Denver and we were able to attend. Words can't express what it felt like to be surround with others for 3 days that "walk in the same shoes" I do everyday. I learned more about PKU, the formula that Jaxson drinks and will continue to drink for the rest of his life, met more amazing people that deal with PKU on a daily bases, attended fabulous workshops, got around 15 amazing new recipes and had FUN! The above picture is taken at lunch. The lady by me is Ginger she has 2 kids (a girl and a boy) her son has PKU he's 20 months so it was fun to talk with her since our boys are close in age. The next two people are Keith and Sylvia. I never want to forget Keith. When I have those moments where I feel like the PKU diet is too much I'll think of Keith. Keith is 55 and was undiagnosed with PKU till about 4 years ago. He is non verbal and is mentally retarded. He lives in a home right now and Sylvia is one of the workers that help take care of Keith. Brett and I are so blessed that we were able to find out 9 days after Jaxson was born that he had PKU and what we needed to do to help Jaxson grow to be a healthy person. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about this at least once but meeting Keith makes it seem more real of what could have been and how grateful I need to be. I can't wait for the next conference (in 18 months)!
Jaxson loved our closet. He would go inside and was able to slide it shut and we would play over and over again the game "Where's Jaxson"

My mom said they spend the majority of Saturday playing on the stairs in the lobby. Jaxson learned how to go up and down while holding onto the railing. My mom said he was a big hit all day long with everyone in the hotel. My mom and me at Sunday's conference. Brett picked what he wanted to attend and what he wasn't so interested in (3 of the cooking workshops) my mom attended. My mom is such a support with the diet so it was wonderful to attend some the conference with her.The chefs and their helper that taught our food workshops. It was so fabulous to be taught by such experts that know so much about food. They gave us so many wonderful recipes and great tips!This is one amazing special lady! Her name is Malathy Ramanujam. She single handily runs a PKU company, Taste Connections which makes helpful and delicious products. She does workshops all over the world that helps us PKU moms. Her products are fabulous and she is so nice and helpful. The conference was over and we were both waiting for our ride. Malathy taught a BBQ class that was awesome I hope I can attend many more classes of hers.On the way home we stopped at Glenwood Springs, CO for a break and lunch. Jaxson thought he needed to drive the rest of the way. He did great coming back just the last hour he was done. I don't blame him I think we were all way past ready to be home.

11 comments:

Shaylah said...

Diane, you are such an amazing mom. I can't even imagine what you go through but your faith and positive attitude is such an inspiration to me. Jaxon is a lucky kid to have such great parents who go above and beyond for him to make his life as normal as possible. I'm glad you share things like this on your blog! And btw, I LOVE your hair!
p.s. No, photography is more of an old hobby that's just been forgotten for awhile...I'm extremely out of practice

Heather said...

That is so great that you were able to attend that conference! I can't believe Brett had never been to the zoo before! You had some really cute pictures.

KristyAnn said...

I'm so glad that you had such a good experience. We are so blessed to live in this day in age...I think about that blessing everyday. There is so much good surrounding us.

Unknown said...

Thanks for letting me apart of your wonderful weekend!!! I missed my little Hotel Buddy today! We had so much fun in that BIG Hotel!!
You are both wonderful parents. This might not have been the journey you expected, but you are "Enjoying your Journey" and that is what life is about!

Jesenia said...

First I love your new hair style and color, I am so glad that the conference went well. Miss you I need to call you soon. I will be in Vernal for mothers day, maybe we can meet up on Saturday. Take care!!

Hillary said...

You are truly so inspirational. I know that sounds cheesey, but it's true. I love hearing about the experiences you have and the positive light and gratitude you choose to bring to them. That is so rare. You are one heck of a mom!

Mary said...

What an amazing story. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Megen said...

I found you!

Elizabeth said...

What a weekend! I am so glad you, Brett, Jaxson, and Grandma Brenda were able to go to the PKU conference. You are so blessed to have a mom who loves to cook and that you have that gift also. Jaxson will have the best diet a PKU kid could ever wish for. Not to mention he is absolutely adorable.

Jeff and Steph said...

Yay! I can't wait to learn from you! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time and it sounds like the conference was amazing. I guess I have to go now- so plan on me for the next one! We are so very blessed aren't we. Hope you are all doing great.

Binghams said...

sooo much fun diane i love little vacations they are so nice...by the way your hair is so stinkin cute on you, I love it. your beautician is brilliant. see ya on sunday!!!

Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones